Sunday, June 14, 2009

UPA Best Feature Story, 2009

I am a day late and a dollar short on this one. Theannual Utah Press Association convention was in March. I was getting a bad cold and felt pretty sickly, but I needed the getaway so badly that I went anyway. Besides that, if I have to be sick, and i get to choose, I am going to be sick in sunny St. George before I am going to stick around here!

Friday night I had dinner with Doug, the sales manager at the News Journal, and Casey, our publisher. Mike Ramsdell was our guest speaker, and he was fabulous!! After hearinghim speak that night, I bought his book, A Train to Potevka.

On Saturday, I slept in and missed breakfast completely. I attended some classes in the morning, then spend the afternoon alternating between reading and napping. That night was our awards banquet, so we all had dinner together. In all the craziness of college, I didn't feel like I had contributed anything award-worthy, so I was quite surprised when they called my name for Best Feature Story in our division.

I won the award for Open Adoption: Bringing Families Together, which can be seen here: http://www.hardnewscafe.usu.edu/artlife/features/120108_openadopt.html It was published both at the News Journal and on the Hard News Cafe, USU's online newspaper.